An 84 year old woman died on Friday afternoon after a fire at her second floor apartment in calle Zapardiel in the El Juncal district of Sevilla.
The alrm was raised at 14:26 after neighbours noticed smoke coming from the apartment and the Fire Brigade arrived at 14:36. However, the fire had spread quite rapidly and fireman found the lifeless body of the woman on the couch.
A known smoker, it is thought that she could have fallen asleep and dropped a cigarette on the couch, thus starting the fire. Firemen also found a wheelchair in one of the rooms, suggesting she suffered from mobility problems.