Prior to 2003, all foreigners wishing to take up residency in Spain had to apply for Residencia – a residence permit – whether they intended to work or not.

The new Royal Decree 240/2007 of the 16th of February states that EU citizens must apply for a Resident Certificate after three months.

For Nerja, the New EU Residents Certificate must be applied for at the National Police in Torre del Mar, Avda. De Andalucia 3. It is open Monday to Friday, from 9:00 to 14:00. Tel: 952965085.

To apply for the New EU Residents Certificate you need the following documents:

  • Residents Certificate Application Form (original & copy)
    (Available at Nerja Foreigner Residents Department)
  • Passport (original & photocopy)
  • Census Certificate from the Town Hall
  • 2 photographs

It costs €6.70 and is paid on application.

For those under 18 years of age, a Birth Certificate also needs to be presented. If the birth certificate is not Spanish, then it has to be first translated by a certified/official translator. You will need to present the original certificate and the translated copy.

In addition, you will need a photocopy of the passport of the father/mother/tutor and that (authorising) person must accompany the minor when the application is made.

All documents must be presented in person, but can be collected by an authorized person.

Those Foreign Residents who applied for their Residence Cards before April 1st will have to go to the National Police Station in Málaga, C/ Virgen del Gran Poder, 40.

Non EU Residents can apply for their Residents Card at the National Police Station in Calle Virgen del Gran Poder, 40, Málaga.

It currently takes about one month to process the applications.

%d bloggers like this: