Campaign against overzealous speed cameras in Montgat

Motorists in Montgat, Cataluña, have launched a campaign for the removal of a number of overzealous speed cameras on the 50 kph limit highway in the area.

Motorists claim to be receiving multiple fines, resulting in the loss of licence points. Running a red light carries a fine of €200 and a deduction of four licence points, but locals say the cameras are triggering on amber.

The cameras were introduced last year following a lucrative €1 million deal between the Council, who get 70% of the fines, and the company Bilbomática, who take the remaining 30%.

According to the Catalan road safety authority, there has only been one serious accident on this road in the past three years and no fatalities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: