Confirming registration on the Population Census (Padrón)

The Government has decided that all foreigners registered on the Padrón (Population Census List) who have not renewed their inscription before the end of March will be removed from the list. In Nerja there are currently around 2,200 foreigners who have not confirmed their registration on the Padrón.

Renewal is required every 2 years. Nerja Town Hall receives an average annual amount of €90 per person registered on the Padrón from the Regional and Central Government. This could mean loosing an income of around €200,000 meant for services such as doctors, police, schools, infrastructure, firemen and social care.

To renew your Padrón registration is straightforward and only takes a couple of minutes at the most.

You can either go to the multi-purpose counter on the ground floor of the Town Hall Monday to Friday from 08:30 to 13:30, or to the Foreigners Department on Mondays or Thursdays from 10:00 to 14:00.

To renew your inscription, all you need is your NIE or Residence Certificate, a photocopy will suffice, a passport or some sort of official bill (rates, electricity etc) in your name.

Persons registered on the Padron will have the following benefits:

  • Reductions at the Municipal Swimming Pool and in all sport activities of the local Sports Stadium
  • Obtain a parking space at the Verano Azul municipal parking for €30 per month if you have been on the Padron for a minimum of one year.
  • Reductions on the general rates IBI receipt.
  • Registration of children at schools.
  • Vote in the Local Elections or even present yourself as candidate.
  • Vote in the European Elections.

Pensioners registered on the Padron, will also have the following benefits:

  • Reductions on the local bus by presenting a Padron certificate, volante, and a colour photo to the Verano Azul office (behind the Monica Hotel in Calle Chaparil).
  • Apply for the 65 Card, Tarjeta 65, and benefit from reductions on buses to Malaga and other cities of Andalucia, glasses, hearing aids, panic button assistance, entry to Selwo, etc.

To obtain the 65 card you must be:
1) Registered on the Padron.
2) Over 65 years old.
3) Have a Resident card or certificate (a green card or sheet).

Forms are available at Nerja Foreigners Department.

%d bloggers like this: