Former Granada CF player dies as a result of fumes from wood fire

The former Granada CF player and restaurant owner Luis Oruezábal “Chikito” died and another three people were injured as a result of intoxication by fumes, apparently from a wood-burning fireplace.

The incident happened at his home in calle Carlos Tomás Romero, Granada city. Chikito, born in Argentina, played for Granada CF between 1974 and 1977. After retiring from football he opened a restaurant which became very popular and considered one of the most important gastronomic establishments in the city.

Along with Xhikiyo in the villa were his wife, aged 57 years, and another couple, aged 63 and 59 years, all of whom were found unconscious, overcome by fumes.

It is thought that a wood-burning fireplace in the basement resulted in all the oxygen being used up, resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning.

%d bloggers like this: