The University of Jerez has been carrying out a study of teenagers in Andalucía and some of the results are quite disturbing.
In the age group 12 years to 15 years:
- 35% consume alcohol on a regular basis, very often as part of the ‘botellón’ culture.
- Almost 50% take a mobile phone to school, despite the fact that this is actually prohibited by law.
- Two-thirds have witnessed an assault at school.
- One-third do not believe that threatening a teacher constitutes ‘violence’.
- One in four did not use any form of contraception during their first sexual experience.
- 19% made use of the ‘morning-after’ pill, shortly to be available over the counter in chemists.
The authorities, quite naturally, are a little concerned about the results of this survey.