Fuengirola Council has given the green light to the carriage of dogs on public transport, provided they meet certain requirements, and the new ordinance will come into effect ‘with vigour’ later this month.
Fuengirola will become the third town in Andalucia to allow dogs on public transport. The requirements and conditions are:
- One animal per person with a maximum of five per bus unless this compromises the carriage of passengers.
- No Dangerous breeds.
- No dogs ‘in heat’.
- Dogs must have a health card issued by a veterinarian and meet the sanitary and safety conditions specified in the ordinance.
- Small dogs can travel in a basket or in the arms of the passenger but cannot occupy a seat.
- The traveller is responsible for any damage or the cleaning up of any mess made by the animal.
- Dogs will be charged at 50% of the normal ticket price, the only exception being guide dogs which can travel free.